Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] cut and paste (gpm)

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] cut and paste (gpm)
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Mar 1999 09:31:36 -0600

Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> hmm...  wish i knew...  i seem to remember hearing that the cuaX way of doing
> things is
> going out, and tty the new way to go, but don't quote me on that.....

This is correct.  Back in the earlier days of Unix, there was a
distinction: the cua devices were for "call out", and the ttyS devices
were for dumb terminals hooked up to a Unix server.  The kernel
actually treated these differently, and did some primitive locking
between them.

Today, we have much more modern software that makes the difference
obsolete, and using the cua devices may have some unintended
consequences.