Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Topic for April 5 meeting

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Topic for April 5 meeting
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:44:46 -0600 (EST)

On 20 Mar 1999, John Goerzen wrote:
>  * Linux security
>    Cmmentary: this has been done before, too.   A full treatment
>    of the topic can't really occur in one evening, and a summary
>    has hard (but possible) to do

You can talk about this one forever.  Why not do a series of them... you
could probably spend an entire evening talking about sendmail security
alone.  Start with the basics... general ideas about how a security
administrator has to think.  (We'll get Jeff Stehman to give this one.)
Then move into practical application... probably start with something like
inetd and hosts.(allow|deny), stuff like that.  That way you wouldn't have
to summarize everything in one night.  (A nightmare, I'd think...
O'Reilly's Internet Security book is one of their largest.)

How much interest is there in security?  It probably doesn't mean as much
to the home users who aren't connected 24/7 and don't run "production"
servers, but there might be a few interested.

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)