Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] ACLUG TIME WARP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] ACLUG TIME WARP
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Mar 1999 11:49:40 -0600

"James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks for catching the -0800.  That got past me.  The solution is not
> quite so simple, however.  I get most of my mail on a win95 machine with
> Netscape3.  The time is correct.  The date/time properties for the
> system are set as: GMT -06:00, central time (US).  I checked this before
> I sent my post.  Netscape3 (as far as I know) contains no way to set its
> own time, and synchs w/ win95.

Very strange.

> My last post to ACLUG showed 8:59 -0800 in the message header, 8:59 on
> the list menu, and was sent at 8:59.  Your reply shows 9:44 -0600 on the
> message header, and 7:44 on the list menu.

This I am expecting.  It somehow thinks you're at pacific time
(-0800).  So when you send out the message, all is well, because of
course it puts pacific time in the headers.  Now when I reply, mine
properly is set for Central time.  Your mail program takes that and
converts it to pacific time (which is where it thinks you are) by
subtracting two hours.  Similarly, some mail programs may add two
hours onto posts from you.

> At least I now know the problem is here, not there.  Any clues about how
> to remedy this?

Upgrade your Netscape perhaps?  Or better yet, install Linux on that
box :-)