Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] How do I download RedHat?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How do I download RedHat?
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:08:51 -0600

At 03:48 PM 3/16/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>> I did just what you're attempting recently. Sadly though it was with only a
>> 56k connection. I also used WS_FTP and had no trouble. What I did was to
>> download each of the subdirectories individually rather than trying to get
>> the whole directory at once. That must sidestep the symbolic link problem.
>> Just be sure that you maintain the directory structure so that the
resulting
>> CD will be structured to perform the install correctly. My first burn
bombed
>> because I neglected to reparent the directory correctly. Good luck.
>
>Ahhh, that may have been my error, trying to download the entire tree in
>one fell swoop.
>
>So did you end up downloading the actual files instead of the links?
>That means multiple files will be duplicated in several places on the
>install CD, right?  Is space an issue, or is there room to spare even with
>files being duplicated?

I just downloaded the individual sub-directories. I paid no attention other
than that so I can't say about the links, but it must have maintained them.
I have installed several times from the CD I burned from the download.

>Or did you skip over the links without it affecting installation?  And if
>the links aren't important to the installation, why does RedHat have them
>in the FTP site?
>
>Or is Windows capable of links in some way of which I am unaware?  That
>would be cool to know, since I am have to _work_ on Windows no matter what
>I do at home.  :-)

I have to admit that this is a bit beyond me. Therefore I can't speculate on
what may, or may not, have been going on with the links.