Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] How do I dowload RedHat?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How do I dowload RedHat?
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:50:19 +0000

Karl Juhnke wrote:

> I realize it would be more efficient for me to buy the Redhat CD's and
> manual in the store.  Nevertheless, I am strongly disinclined to spend any
> money on a free product.  My time and pain count for nothing.  Besides
> which, I am sure I will learn more from installing the hard way.
>
> On the RedHat site says, "We include the exact source that was used to
> build the distribution on the second CD of every box set."  Does this
> imply that I myself must build the distribution to put on my CD's rather
> than simply downloading it?
>
> How would you advise me?

Well.. I'd advise you to buy a cheap CD from Cheap Bytes or Linux Mall
for under $5 and save yourself a lot of time and worry.

If you insist... Go to a Red Hat FTP mirror and download everything
under the distribution you want for the platform you want  (Ie..
redhat/redhat-5.2/i386/ ) and put it on a CD exactly the way you find it
on the FTP site with that directory being the starting directory on the
CD.

If you want the source RPMs too, download redhat-5.2/SRPMS and burn that
CD.

THEN... you will need to create an install boot floppy... See the
documentation you downloaded, or ask me and I can tell you how that's
done...

-= bob=-