Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] How do I download RedHat?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How do I download RedHat?
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:28:01 -0600

At 03:07 PM 3/16/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Cory T. Lamb wrote:
>
>> I would suggest reading the redhat-cd mini howto located at
>> http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/
>>
>> This details everything I think you need to know.  It works really
>> slick...
>
>Excellent! This is exactly the type of FAQ I was looking for, except...
>
>Except that the instructions refer you to the mirror RPM and to XCDroast,
>which means that I can't use those instructions unless I already have
>Linux installed, which I don't.
>
>I want to burn the CD from a Windows system.  Is that impossible?  Do the
>symbolic links doom me?  This is a purely academic question, as I am ready
>to borrow the disks from you or Matt or buy them from CheapBytes or come
>to an ACLUG meeting and buy them or or or, BUT I am still curious.  Is it
>impossible for a Windows user to pull himself up by his bootstraps?

I did just what you're attempting recently. Sadly though it was with only a
56k connection. I also used WS_FTP and had no trouble. What I did was to
download each of the subdirectories individually rather than trying to get
the whole directory at once. That must sidestep the symbolic link problem.
Just be sure that you maintain the directory structure so that the resulting
CD will be structured to perform the install correctly. My first burn bombed
because I neglected to reparent the directory correctly. Good luck.