Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] How do I download RedHat?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How do I download RedHat?
From: Karl Juhnke <fritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:48:55 -0600 (CST)

> I did just what you're attempting recently. Sadly though it was with only a
> 56k connection. I also used WS_FTP and had no trouble. What I did was to
> download each of the subdirectories individually rather than trying to get
> the whole directory at once. That must sidestep the symbolic link problem.
> Just be sure that you maintain the directory structure so that the resulting
> CD will be structured to perform the install correctly. My first burn bombed
> because I neglected to reparent the directory correctly. Good luck.

Ahhh, that may have been my error, trying to download the entire tree in
one fell swoop.

So did you end up downloading the actual files instead of the links?
That means multiple files will be duplicated in several places on the
install CD, right?  Is space an issue, or is there room to spare even with
files being duplicated?

Or did you skip over the links without it affecting installation?  And if
the links aren't important to the installation, why does RedHat have them
in the FTP site?

Or is Windows capable of links in some way of which I am unaware?  That
would be cool to know, since I am have to _work_ on Windows no matter what
I do at home.  :-)

Thanks,
-Fritz