Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] How do I download RedHat?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How do I download RedHat?
From: Karl Juhnke <fritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:10:41 -0600 (CST)

> If you insist... Go to a Red Hat FTP mirror and download everything
> under the distribution you want for the platform you want  (Ie..
> redhat/redhat-5.2/i386/ ) and put it on a CD exactly the way you find it
> on the FTP site with that directory being the starting directory on the
> CD.

I don't insist on making trouble for myself, but I would like to know how
it is done.  Shortcuts are fine with me, but I would like to understand in
principle what it is I am not having to do.

I did try to download everything in the i386 directory, but my ftp
program, WS_FTP, couldn't handle symbolic links.  I assume the links need
to be there for the install to work correctly.  Does this mean I need to
do the ftp and burn the CD from a UNIX machine?

> If you want the source RPMs too, download redhat-5.2/SRPMS and burn that
> CD.

What is the difference between "the source RPMs" and the source of Linux
and Linux applications per se?

> THEN... you will need to create an install boot floppy...

That, at least, I was able to do by myself.  :-)

Thanks,
-Fritz