Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Flame bait... (distribution question)

To: ACLUG-list <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Flame bait... (distribution question)
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:44:13 -0600 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Greg House wrote:

> Perhaps I'm opening up a can of worms here, but I'm wondering what other
> people's thoughts on this are.  And how others are handling it.
>
> I know a lot of you are running Debian, some are running RedHat, and there's
> a couple with other distributions.
>
> I tried several of them when I was first getting started and the one that
> ended up staying on my machine was Slackware.  It seemed fairly intuitive
> for me, so I kept it.  Since then I've set up a couple of RedHat systems,
> and now I'm working on a Debian system.  What I'm finding is that almost
> everything in terms of really current stuff only comes in tarballs and rpms.
> For example, I wanted the lasted version of XFree86, no deb files available
> for it (except some experimental builds a Debian developer made, which took
> awhile to locate).  I wanted the new Gnome 1.0...rpms...no debs.
> Enlightenment?  NO debs (well, actually debian.org had them in the slink
> directories, but they weren't on enlightenment.org)
>
> Are all you Debian users 6 months behind on stuff (the last frozen release)?
> Are you getting source for these things and compiling them yourself?  Are
> you running development versions of Debian (slink (until today), potato)?
> It just seems like when there's a package manager that you'll eventually end
> up shooting yourself in the foot if you have to subvert it by installing the
> stuff that's not packaged in your package system of choice.  It also appears
> that the only packages people are doing of really up to the minute stuff are
> rpm packages. I like the concept of Debian.org (totally free), but I'm
> seriously thinking about going back to RedHat because of the availability of
> current packages.  Slackware'll keep track of the tarball installations for
> you, so that might be an option too.

I tried redhat 4.2, and 5.0, and after getting sick of things not working
,and since i could get "support" for debian I installed debian.

Yes I do wait 6 months for the newest debs, and that does kinda of annoy
me, but the reason it takes so long is that want to get as mnay bugs out
as possible, and I admit it works. It is very stable.

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.hackboy.com/~cabrubak    |