Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2008:
Re: Request for help: bug tracker

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Request for help: bug tracker
From: Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:20:01 +0200

On Do, 02 Okt 2008, John Goerzen wrote:
> What do you all think would be a good way to encourage newbies to
> participate in this small community in a constructive way?
>
> What would be a good way to minimize the number of non-bugs reported
> to the bug tracker?  Should the bug tracker be nixed, or bug creation

Hopeless. As a Debian Developer I often get bug reports which is just a
user support question. There are a few ways to deal with them, depending
on your (or someone else's) energy:
- just leave them rot away
- answer, tell that this is a support request and it should be answered
  on a mailing list/forum/whatever, then close the bug
- close the bug straight away, tagging it not a bug

> I unfortunately am past the point where I have a lot of time to
> support OfflineIMAP newbies or document others' code, so I have to
> play somewhat of a gatekeeper I suppose.

Completely agreed, that is not your job, there is the ML for that where
others can answer.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@xxxxxxxxxx>                         Debian TeX Group
AFFCOT (n.)
The sort of fart you hope people will talk after.
                        --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff