Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: April 2004:
Re: Connection problems

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Connection problems
From: Scott Lambert <lambert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:06:16 -0400

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:32:04AM -0600, Matthew P. Barnson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:30:33AM -0500, Micah Anderson wrote:
> > I often startup offlineimap when I startup, and just
> > let it autorefresh during the day. This works great, except when my
> > network connection dies, either because the wireless connection is
> > bad, or because the DSL goes down, or for whatever reason.
>
> This is a common problem with my wireless link as well.  Though I'm certain
> it would be trivial to tell it to monitor itself in Python, I wrote a
> little Bash wrapper around it.

Personally, I would prefer that offlineimap handle network exceptions
and sleep for the next autorefresh period rather than letting python
blow up and print a traceback.  The only time it should blow up is if it
finds a data inconsistency and doesn't want to do damage.  Even then it
would be nice if it could describe the error it found and exit rather
than just using the python traceback.

lambert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx