Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2006:
[linux-help] Re: network unreachable

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: network unreachable
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 23:05:21 -0500

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 01:41 -0500, Tom Hull wrote:
>

> Just on the off chance, and to rule out one other problem.
> Have you tried a different network cable?
> Have you tried a different port on the switch?

yes. yes.

tried booting ubuntu live disc. network still unreachable.

iptables -L -n shows all rule sets as ACCEPT, which I take to mean no
firewalling.

dmesg shows entries like:

   NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

   eth0: no IPv6 routers present

kernel 2.6.12; driver for eth0 is forcedeth.c 0.41

> You can (at least in Fedora) use ethtool to look at and change settings
> on an adapter.  Pre-FC5 I think it was miitool that did similar things.

not easy to copy the output, but ethtool's basic output looks not
unreasonable (omitting a couple of lines):

   Supported ports: [ MII ]
   Supports auto-negotiation: yes
   Advertised auto-negotiation: yes
   Speed: 100Mb/s
   Duplex: half
   Port: MII
   PHYAD: 1
   Transceiver: externel
   Auto-negotiation: on
   Supports Wake-on: g
   Wake-on: d
   Link detected: yes

netstat -r reports MSS = 0; don't know whether that means no maximum
segment size or 0, which could choke it; my Red Hat machines use 40.

got a chassis intrusion message first time I rebooted after problem;
reset and message went away; would be weird if BIOS disabled ethernet
because of the chassis instrusion detect.

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * http://tomhull.com/ * http://notesoneverydaylife.com/