Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2006:
[linux-help] network unreachable

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] network unreachable
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 23:52:08 -0500

I have a problem on a recently built Ubuntu Linux system. Sometime in
the last day or two the machine lost its network connection. Ethernet
controller is on the motherboard. It is configured with a static
address, and can ping that address but nothing else on the local
network. Changing cable and/or port on the otherwise working switch
has no effect. We had some trouble yesterday when my gateway machine
couldn't get a DHCP address from Cox for a period of several hours.
Not sure whether the Ubuntu machine problem occurred at that time,
since I didn't notice it until much later. I've rebooted since then.
Don't see anything obviously wrong, e.g. in netstat -r or iptables -L.

Aside from hardware, is there anything you can think of that might
cause a Linux machine to effectively disconnect itself from a local
network?

Thanks.

--
/*