Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2006:
[linux-help] Re: network unreachable

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: network unreachable
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:43:56 -0500

Dale W Hodge wrote:
> It sounds like hardware to me too. If firwall rules were blocking you should
> get "network unreachable" errors on pings rather than just no response. If
> the lights on the card aren't blinking, then it isn't sending packets. What
> does the output of ifconfig or netstat (-i) show?

I was getting network unreachable errors on pings. Sorry if that wasn't
clear. Never figured this out. Added a PCI NIC, which was recognized as
eth1. Disabled eth0, configured eth1. That worked.

But just now, when I went to check machine: reloaded a web page, and the
redisplay hung, with parts of the window rendered, most blank white, and
no response to mouse clicks or keyboard (although cursor tracks). This
has happened before. Video card is MSI NX6200AX Geforce 6200 128MB AGP,
recognized as "Unknown NVIDIA card", xorg driver nv. Google for

   ubuntu geforce 6200 xorg hang

shows similar instances, but no real solutions. I asked on their forum
but got nothing. Probably need to replace the card with something else,
but don't know what. There seems to be a growing gap between what's
"supported" and what actually works. I'm very disappointed with ubuntu
thus far. Thought I picked out some fairly conservative hardware when
I put this machine together, but the ASUS K8N-E Deluxe motherboard has
had two problems to date -- SATA didn't work, and now Ethernet crapped
out.

If anyone is running ubuntu 5.10 with no xorg/video problems, please
let me know what you're using for a video card. Thanks.

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * http://tomhull.com/ * http://notesoneverydaylife.com/