Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2004:
[linux-help] Re: Port 18593 attacks

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Port 18593 attacks
From: ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:55:49 -0500

Sandy said that she notifies the other ISP's who have customers who are
doing port scanning and other suspicious activity, but most of the ISPs
don't do anything about it.  They don't want to lose a customer or have
negative rumors around.  Cox tries to miminize virus infections by
shutting down a customer's service if they have a virus, spamming, or is
port scanning.  Some of the customers call in wanting to find out why
their service isn't working, tech support staff are never informed as to
the reason why a person's internet service is shutdown, but the security
staff won't reconnect the customer until they have been warned and / or
get their computer cleaned up.

I wish that more could be done to help you, but changing the nic or
exchanging out the firewall is about the only thing that can be done.
Another nic would be the quickest way to get a different ip address.  I
have access another frazier wall computer if you want to switch out for
a while.

Sometimes removing the HSI provisioning and adding it back again will
force a different ip address, but it doesn't always work.  I have talked
with several customers who didn't have a firewall and their computer was
compromised, sometimes while we were on the phone trying to get the
computer connected to the internet, many times the customer is angry
with us in tech support because they think that cox should do more to
prevent these kinds of attacks.  There is only so much that the techs
can do.  I am very limited on what kind of suggestions that I can make.
  ~Anne