Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2004:
[linux-help] Re: Port 18593 attacks

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Port 18593 attacks
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 20:46:43 -0500

> My advice..
>
> Make sure you machine is up to date with patches and don't worry about
> port scans, you'll lose too much sleep.

Probably pretty good advice.  But it screws up the Frazierwall report as the
firewall can't seem to keep up with it.  The log gets up to around 150KB and
drops the earliest hits.

I shut the modem and firewall down for over 24 hours and switched the eth0
board.  Now I am no longer getting hits on TCP port 18395.  They are UDP on
port 2849.  196 in the first 90 minutes.  Quite obviously, something is going
on that I don't understand.
bruce