Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2004:
[linux-help] Re: Port 18593 attacks

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Port 18593 attacks
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 17:58:28 -0500

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 13:57, Jonathan Hall wrote:
> That's because there is no way to release an IP addres without direct access
> to the DHCP server, and to give that to all tech support would be a security
> violation without purpose.
>
> However, powering off the modem will (typically) do this.  It is also
> possible for the client to explicitly release the IP address.  Depending on
> your modem's version and features, it may be possible to do this without
> rebooting.
>
> -- Jonathan

Powering it off will release the IP;  But ONLY when the lease expires
and it does not get renewed.  Bruce said that, and I have experienced
it.

Usually a lease gets renewed some (specified) time before it expires, so
the modem will need to be powered off for at least the lease period in
order to force the issuance of a new IP.

On Fedora Core 2, pump has been removed and dhcp client is serviced by
dhclient. Old lease info is kept in the dhclient.leases file.  Removing
or emptying that file may force assignment of a new lease without
waiting for the lease to expire.  I am unable to test because I do not
use dhcp, but info dhclient has lots of information (including how to
explicitly release a lease).

Also look at dhclient.conf file.

--snipped----