Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Burning music CD's

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Burning music CD's
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:30:32 -0500

On Monday 06 October 2003 22:05, you wrote:
> I know how to burn data CD's on linux by using command line, but what
> program does linux have to burn music CD's.  My windows 2000 keeps
> crashing and doesn't have enough memory to even play a CD, let alone
> burn one.

The best one in my experence:
k3b (k3b.org)

burns directly from compressed formats (decompress on fly) and is VERY ea=
sy=20
to use. (last I tried nero, it was a lot LESS user friendly than k3b)

I have used cdrecord (cli is nice) strait, a script (burnit)=20
(http://www.eclectic-cheval.net/) which makes it easy to burn (no more=20
remembering every cdrecord setting), xcdroast, gtoaster (nice, seems like=
 a=20
less advanced k3b), cdbakeoven (very similar to k3b (fork?)) and k3b.=20

of all of those, k3b seems the nicest. It even burns DVDs (not for me yet=
,=20
but I have a DVD-RAM, which until a few days/a week ago, the main author=20
wasn't even aware would burn DVD-Rs)=20

Burning dvds: dvdrecord (doesn't work with mine) cdrecord-prodvd (free fo=
r=20
non-commercial, non-oss) and dvd+rwtools (should do all +-r(w) except RAM=
,=20
which the linux kernel can just write to like a 4.7GB removable HD.=20
(reportedly, I need to try this out for myself)

James L