Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Mysql permissions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mysql permissions
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:55:19 -0500

bruce bales wrote:
> Tom Hull wrote:
>
>>Another way to dump a table or a whole database would be to use the
>>mysqldump program. This produces a file which can be redirected into
>>mysql to restore the table/database.
>>

> [bruce@bertha temp]$ mysqldump -u bruce -p class50 email > /tmp/email.dat
> Enter password:
> [bruce@bertha temp]$
>
> This also worked, but the output would require considerable editting.
>  There was a bunch of information at the top and each line was prefixed
> with "INSERT INTO email VALUES ."

Those are SQL statements. If you wanted to restore a dump, you'd create
a new database then redirect stdin for mysql to the dump file: each of
those statements inserts a record into the database.

> Now I can do what I was trying to do, but still interested in knowing
> why I can't select to a file.  I am convinced that 'mysql bruce' doesn't
> have write permission to any of the directories I have tried to write
> to.  An interesting exercise.

Try selecting into a new file in /tmp/ -- that directory should always be
world-writable. If it can't do it you probably still have a GRANT problem.
If you can it's just a file permissions problem. The file is being
written as user/group mysql/mysql, since that's what the server is
running as.

If you have a GRANT problem take a look at /etc/my.cnf to see if there's
anything suspicious there. I don't know what this might be -- don't have
the problem here -- but I have an account with an ISP who disallows
GRANT FILE somehow, so I suspect that there is a configuration way to
do so. (Like I said before, there are security issues with this.)

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * thull2(cox.net) * http://www.tomhull.com/