Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Mysql permissions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mysql permissions
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:54:45 -0500

 From the documentation for MySQL I found the following

    "The |FILE| privilege gives you permission to read and write files
    on the server using the |LOAD DATA INFILE| and |SELECT ... INTO
    OUTFILE| statements. Any user to whom this privilege is granted can
    read or write any file that the MySQL server can read or write."

If I am reading this correectly, the MySQL server must have permission
to read/write the file you are trying to write to.  Thus the outfile
would need to be in a location where the server has permissions to
write.  It would appear the file written is not dependent upon the users
permissions (other than the granted privleges) but rather on the servers
permissions.