Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Mysql permissions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mysql permissions
From: bruce bales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:02:36 -0500

Jeff Vian wrote:

> From the documentation for MySQL I found the following
>
>    "The |FILE| privilege gives you permission to read and write files
>    on the server using the |LOAD DATA INFILE| and |SELECT ... INTO
>    OUTFILE| statements. Any user to whom this privilege is granted can
>    read or write any file that the MySQL server can read or write."
>
>If I am reading this correectly, the MySQL server must have permission
>to read/write the file you are trying to write to.  Thus the outfile
>would need to be in a location where the server has permissions to
>write.  It would appear the file written is not dependent upon the users
>permissions (other than the granted privleges) but rather on the servers
>permissions.

If I start mysql with  "mysql -u root -p"  I can select to the outfile
email.dat.
If I start mysql with  "mysql -u bruce -p"  I cannot.
Doesn't mysql always use the same server?

While googling on this, I found the following several places:

SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE is mainly intended to let you very quickly dump
a table on
the server machine.

which makes me think there must be another (preferred) way to select
data to a file.  I'm still looking for this.  Data on the screen is not
as useful as data in a file.  I'm very new to databases.
bruce