Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2003:
[linux-help] Mysql permissions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Mysql permissions
From: bruce bales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:53:54 -0500

I have been trying tolearn mysql for a couple of weeks.  I am able to
create databases and tables and fill the columns with the load command.
 I can select pieces and parts to the screen.  I can insert and delete
rows. But I can only select to a file if I am the mysql root user.

As user bruce,  I get 'access denied.

mysql> use class50
Database changed
mysql> select * into outfile 'email.dat' fields terminated by ',' from
emailaddr;
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'bruce@localhost' (Using password: YES)
mysql>

When I use the above as mysql root it puts the data in
/var/lib/mysql/class50/email.dat.

I get the same when I try to put it into one of my own directories with:
mysql> select * into outfile '/home/bruce/temp/email2.dat' fields
terminated by ',   ' from email;

I have studied the O'Reilley book and a good tutorial on mysql.com and
can't find anything relevant to this.  I set up my user bruce password
as below and it works for logging in to mysql.

AS ROOT:
mysql> grant all on class50.* to bruce identified by 'augie06' ;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

Any help would be appreciated,
bruce