Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Video Card switch

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Video Card switch
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:37:23 -0500 (CDT)

This is a silly debate and getting a bit too heated for something of such
little significance if you ask me... can we all just get along? :)
To point out a minor technicality...  1600x1200 @ 32bpp uses only 7.5mb of
video memory.  So unless his TNT2 had less than 8mb of RAM, or if he's
using a dual-head display... then telling X that he has less RAM than he
actually has will make no practical difference whatsoever.
Extra video RAM will be used for 3D texture buffering mostly.