Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Video Card switch

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Video Card switch
From: Lars von dem Ast <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:06:03 -0500

flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>This is a silly debate and getting a bit too heated for something of such
>little significance if you ask me... can we all just get along? :)
>To point out a minor technicality...  1600x1200 @ 32bpp uses only 7.5mb of
>video memory.  So unless his TNT2 had less than 8mb of RAM, or if he's
>using a dual-head display... then telling X that he has less RAM than he
>actually has will make no practical difference whatsoever.
>Extra video RAM will be used for 3D texture buffering mostly.

Thanks for all the great advice. Actually, I installed the new GeForce2
MX400 64mb card and it went in pretty smoothly. The "new hardware" did
stop and ask, and I don't remember what I did, but I didn't "remove". I
did have to run mouseconfig to get my ps/2 MS wheel optical mouse
working again. However, the initial problem with the TNT2 16mb was shaky
"hits" all over the screen. It seemed to be less when I dropped
resolution. But then the new card did it too! Research revealed it only
happened when my other box was running. Further research narrowed it
down to a monitor-mouse-keyboard sharing switch that I'm using, not box
proximity. If anyone knows where I can get a reliable monitor sharing
switch for two boxes, let me know please. Anyway, thanks again.

Lb
---
Cheney: Whom do you serve?
Bush: Saruman!