Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Firewall question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Firewall question
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:24:52 -0500

I've been fiddling with my Linux firewall, which I use on my DSL connection
from Moundridge Telephone Company.

I've gotit working fairly well... there is yet one thing I want to block,
though, that I cannot figure out how to block..

I continually get DHCPDISCOVER requests __FROM MY ISP__ (their network spews
lots of other crap, too).  I would like to block these so that my DHCP
server doesn't try to respond.  Since these packets are neither UDP nor TCP,
my firewall rules have no effect on them.

Here's a snippet from my dhcpd logs:

Oct 15 21:58:11 wardrobe dhcpd-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:01:e7:27:e5:83
via eth1
Oct 15 21:58:11 wardrobe dhcpd-2.2.x: no free leases on subnet 65.66.93.0

Is there any way, using one of iptable's fancy features, to block these
packets?

Thanks.