Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Recommendation for a video card.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Recommendation for a video card.
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:58:25 -0500

Although it's probably technically true that 2D can bennefit from some of
the enhancments found on a 3D card (such as faster memory, wider bus, etc),
the improvements found in a 3D card that bennefit 2D will, in most cases, be
completely unnoticable by human senses.

It's also not true that "any 1 meg trident based card" will be good enough.
Those are good if all you need is a video card for a server or something.
For someone who stares at the display 8 hours/day, I'd definately NOT
recommend a card like that.  Here are reasons:

1) 1mb of video memory is only enough for an 8-bit display (256 colors) at
1024x768.  Knowing Clint, I wouldn't be surprised if he likes to run at a
higher resolution than that even, which would reduce him to 16 colors or
perhaps even 1-bit (monochrome) color.  I know of few people who would be
satisfied editing code 8 hours/day under these conditions.

2) Cards like that have little enough processing power that it can be
annoying, at minimum, and counter-productive at worst, to wait for them to
redraw portions of the screen.  When scrolling through large portions of
text (as often is the case when editing code), this can be a real headache.
I experience similar things even on my S3 ProSavage 4 card, wich is a 4X AGP
card that sucks more than an 8lb Orac does over its anticipated lifetime!
(And my S3 card uses less power, too! :P)

Remember Windows 3.1 when it was common to wait for the image on the screen
to redraw after closing a window, or opening a new one?  You get the same
effect again when using old PCI cards (even more noticable with ISA or VLB
cards) in X.

-- Jonathan