Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Building Linux Box

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Building Linux Box
From: "John Heffington" <john1982@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:43:21 -0700

I had  mandrake 8.1 installed on an AMD XP 1700+ with 2100 DDR 128MB with a
nVidia GeForece2 64mb video and it really sucked! I could not get it to do
3d rendering, the sound was terrible, and the only thing I could do was run
the internet. BTW, sound card was a SBLive! 5.1 Gamer Edition. I had a
really nice sytem, but Mandrake just rejected it!!! I was better at linux at
that time then I am now. I would recommend an intel system. More software
and hardware is compatible with them. Also, I believe that if you can get as
many compnents built by the same MOBO manufacturer, you will have better
success. I.E.> ASUS not only make MOBO's, but video cards and optical
storage as well. Gigabyte is about the same. This is what I would recommend.
Thanks and have fun!