Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Building Linux Box

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Building Linux Box
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:05:09 -0500

> For mb and processor I'm thinking a KT-333 motherboard either the Epox
> EP-8K3A+, MSI KT3, or Gigabyte GA-7vRXP, with an Athlon XP Processor.

> I'm thinking of getting 333 DDR RAM, not sure if I should go for generic
> or name brand. Probably 512 megs worth.

I use pc2100 mem at 266 and it works well, generic. the mobo will only
run at 133 bus speed

> As for the video card I'm not sure, do I need a 3d card? Or would a good
> 2d card  be just as good? I'm not playing any 3d games or rending 3d
> objects.

No games or 3d rendering --- go for the cheaper but good 2d card

> Would I need another sound card or would the built in sound on
> motherboards work? If not whats a a good basic pci one for linux.

I have a gigabyte GS-7DX motherbord running RH 7.3 and the sound works
very well under Linux with the onbord chipset.

Mine uses the es1371 module and the ac97_codec module

If the sound does not work for some reason, a good soundblaster live or
equivalent would be great and not too expensive.