Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Building Linux Box

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Building Linux Box
From: Anne McCadden <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:55:35 -0500

I have the same Gigabyte mobo as Jeff.  One has a 1.4 AMD thunderbird
and one of the others has a XP1800+.  Both run great, the third is in
the process of rebuild.  Doesn't sound like sound has much value for
your purposes, but I'm sure that video will be more valuable.  Almost
all of the newer video cards have 3d capability and it is worth the few
extra dollars.  I like the nVidia chipsets with 4x and they are very
well supported with the RedHat 7.3.  It doesn't install the OpenGL
drivers and it runs ok without them.  Buying the faster memory will be
better, that also runs great with Linux.  Also buy a 7200 rpm hard drive
so that doesn't become your bottleneck.  I always use an add-on SMC NIC
cards because some of the built-ons can be flakey.

In conclusion, you get more speed for your money with the AMD chips, but
the CPU core is very fragile, be careful when installing the heatsink
and fan.  If the CPU runs too warm, then add a case fan or an extra case
fan.  The AMD chips are very well supported by RedHat, so is the nVidia
video cards, SoundBlaster snd cards, and DDR memory.  Are you buying the
parts over the internet or locally?  ~Anne