Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Building Linux Box

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Building Linux Box
From: james <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 00:24:56 -0500

On Thursday 25 July 2002 22:01, you wrote:
> > I had  mandrake 8.1 installed on an AMD XP 1700+ with 2100 DDR 128MB with

> > nVidia GeForece2 64mb video and it really sucked! I could not get it to
> > do 3d rendering, the sound was terrible, and the only thing I could do
> > was
>
> run
>
> > the internet. BTW, sound card was a SBLive! 5.1 Gamer Edition. I had a
> > really nice sytem, but Mandrake just rejected it!!!
>
> hmm, i hate to say this, but definately use the closed-source drivers from
> nVidia.  they make a WORLD of a difference...  I went from CRAWLING in any
> OpenGL app to running 10 simlutaneous OpenGL apps w/ hardly a hitch.  Also,
> I've had great luck with my SBLive! Value, but I don't know what the
> difference is b/n my cheaper one and the gamer ed...  and, unfortunately

There is ABSOLUTELY NO difference in hardware (logos and that sort of thing
doesn't count) All of the difference is in the software that comes with it.
At least that is what I heard from the emu10k1 developers site. SB Live!
gamer, SB Live Value!, and SB Live! MP3 (The 5.1 does have some different
hardware) (If I am wrong, someone please correct me)

The SB 512 is almost the same (same chip, etc), and the only real difference
is that it doesn't have a digital out, as far as I know.

(guess which one I have (me==cheap person)) Sorry, but most people got ripped
off.

James L.