Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Building Linux Box

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Building Linux Box
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jul 2002 14:18:22 -0500

I'm building hopefully building a Linux box at work and wanted some
advice.
I'm trying to get under $1000.

This will be my workstation/testing server, I will mainly be programming
websites, so I need a fast desktop and browser, plus the ability to run
Zope, TomCat, apache, etc w/o degrading desktop performance.

For mb and processor I'm thinking a KT-333 motherboard either the Epox
EP-8K3A+, MSI KT3, or Gigabyte GA-7vRXP, with an Athlon XP Processor.

I'm thinking of getting 333 DDR RAM, not sure if I should go for generic
or name brand. Probably 512 megs worth.

As for the video card I'm not sure, do I need a 3d card? Or would a good
2d card  be just as good? I'm not playing any 3d games or rending 3d
objects.

The Gigabyte (which had good reviews for performance on Tom's hardware
but bad reviews for stability on newegg) has built PCI sound (Creative
CT5880), networking (Realtek RT8100BL), a Promise RAID controller (PDC
20276)

The Epox says it comes with integrated VIA-3058 AC-97 audio support for
SoundBlaster Pro and FM synthesis legacy audio, I don't see a chipset.

Would I need another sound card or would the built in sound on
motherboards work? If not whats a a good basic pci one for linux.

Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated

Clint