Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Logging user commands

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Logging user commands
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:29:11 -0500

Denis Medvedev wrote:

> --- Hareesh Haridas <Hareesh.Haridas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi friends,
>>=09
>> is there a method in Linux by which ALL of the
>>commands typed in
>>by a user during a login session (either at the
>>console or through
>>telnet/ssh) can be logged into syslog or another
>>file?=20
>>
>> i have found that for ftp this is possible by
>>configuring the
>>/etc/ftpaccess file of starting ftpd with special
>>arguments.=20
>>

> 1) try checking $HOME/.bash_history file
> or
> 2) try "script" command

The script command will do it if the user explicitly wants to do so.
.bash.history stores most of teh commands used

if psacct (process accounting) is activated and configured you can track
by user all processes used and cpu time consumed

there are a few more tools available to do what you want as well, but I
have not used all of them.