Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2002:
[linux-help] Hughes Satellite & Linux/FBSD

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Hughes Satellite & Linux/FBSD
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 23:48:08 -0500

Has anyone gotten Linux/FreeBSD working with a Hughes satellite connectio=
n? =20
Specifically what I am wanting to know is if anyone has gotten it working=
=20
with a DW-3000/DW-4000 "terminal station" (from what I gather a satellite=
=20
version of a cable modem) that uses a USB connection to connect to the=20
computer?  I haven't been able to find any information online about=20
FreeBSD's USB support allowing this, and have just started looking for=20
info on linux...  Is this even possible?

Also, I found a USB->Ethernet converter=20
(http://www.usmtelecom.com/netovusbf.html) and wondered if this would be =
a=20
possibility.  From the information I've found, it looks like I should be=20
able to plug this directly into the USB port on the back of the=20
DW-3000/DW-4000 and then go twisted pair from there on...  is this a=20
logical assumption?

Basically, the reason I'm wanting to do this is for a local company, who'=
s=20
only other choice is to go with a "freelance" computer "tech" that wants=20
to install shareware firewall software on ALL the workstations (most=20
486's) instead of doing one main firewall that protects the entire LAN=20
(that just happens to house the server that contains all financial,=20
client, & other sensitive information!)...  but, the company wants to go=20
as cheap as possible...  I've got a decent box lined up for only $50 and=20
obviously FBSD/Linux is free...  : ^ )

Any information is appreciated!  And the sooner the better, unfortunately=
=20
time is ticking!

Thanks!
gLaNDix