Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Hughes Satellite & Linux/FBSD

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Hughes Satellite & Linux/FBSD
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 13:55:48 -0500

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> hmm, that may be an option...  i don't know for sure what their budget=20
> is (my first concern was finding out if it even would work)..  my=20
> biggest concern is reading a lot of the articles on google led me to=20
> believe that it actually is required to use the win9x box, because you=20
> need special drivers to control the "terminal station" (satelllite=20
> version of cable modem, i guess)...  many of them specifically mention=20
> that it's different from a DSL/Cablemodem situation, because you=20
> actually need drivers for the terminal station...  but, then again,=20
> i've never used a USB DSL/Cablemodem...  man, what ever happened to=20
> nice, twistedpair interfaces on networking devices? : ^ )  their older=20
> termstations had rj45 ports and no USB... =20
>
> oh well, this was just a side project anyway...  i'm not 'officially'=20
> their tech (just the son of one of the employees), so i'll let him=20
> resolve the issue...  i don't know what his qualifications are, but i'm=20
> pretty confident in saying that he doesn't know what he's getting=20
> himself into...  this is the same guy that told my dad he couldn't=20
> setup a scheduled task to run scandisk/defrag on a Win98SE box because=20
> the "software wasn't installed" and he would have to download it before=20
> he could set it up!!!  5 minutes after he left, my dad had the=20
> scheduled task setup w/o ever connecting to the internet! ; ^ )

If I was your dad, and that had happened to me, I would hunt for a new
support crew immediately.

A non-techie able to do more than a techie is really scary about their
knowledge and abilities.

Also would make me wonder if he was proposing that I do something
illegal, like using shareware on multiple machines and not paying for
/registering it. That shows a REAL lack of ethics on the part of the
support company/individual.