Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Why RedHat 5.1 never installed, or Kickstart my scuzzy

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Why RedHat 5.1 never installed, or Kickstart my scuzzy heart
From: "Koji Hayakawa" <sylf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:49:12 -0500

My far-from-being-expert logic tells me that you really don't need latest or
even somewhat new hardware to run the newest release linux distro of any
kind.  It's just not recommended to slap on the default installation package
onto older machine, that's all.  KDE 1.x ran pretty slow on P75, but plain
WindowMaker ran really great on the same machine.  So what you need is to
install the latest RedHat, but not install all the latest, fancy programs
such as Gnome or KDE, K-Office, whatever.

All the traditional programs (be it Apache, Pine, or Gimp) run just as they
did 5 years ago, if not faster due to daily improvements to the code.