Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: kernel panic

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: kernel panic
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 18:29:28 -0600

Have you verified all connections, then booted from the CD. (you need to
be sure your cdrom is before the hd in the boot sequence) and run fdisk
on the new drive as part of the install.  If it tries to boot from the
unpartitioned drive it will have problems, but otherwisee should not.

ONE MORE NOTE:
  which controller are the drives on?  ATA33, ATA66, or ATA100, and is
the drive compatible with the controller.  Any device not capable of the
highest speed of the controller will limit the performance and may cause
problems.

The cdrom will not work at all on the ata100 controller.  Also, if the
drives are on the ultra controller, is the ID set to cable select?  It
must be in order to work there.

I had some issues getting my hw connections right because of the issues
with the different IDE controllers, but once I got that right everything
works like a dream.

Anne McCadden wrote:

> I'm still not sure what the problem is, but I do know that it has a
> runaway script on bootup.  I tried to run an update on the hard drive
> and that is when I saw the looping script.  The hard drive may have a

looping script? or just failure to boot and repeated tries?  What script
is running? what messages do you receive?