Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: kernel panic

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: kernel panic
From: Anne McCadden <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 20:17:20 -0600

I don't consider hard drives to be major, mobo's are major.

With the power off, I disconnected the 20GB hard drive and connected a
40GB hard drive.  The 40gb hard drive is brand new and I was going to do
a new install.  I'm a computer tech so I know to be careful with the
electronic components.  When I setup the CMOS to boot off the CD-ROM and
started the install is when I got the kernal panic.  I tried to boot off
of a floppy with the same message.  Again with the power off, I
connected the 20gb hard drive back and rebooted, it said that the kernal
panic was from the interupt controller.  I suspect that it is the mobo
or cpu. The pc was also in a reboot loop just before the kernal panic.
The only other kernal panic that I have had is when the another mobo
died from blown caps.
~Anne