Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux and BSD

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux and BSD
From: Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:18:23 -0600

12/5/2001 10:31:25 PM, Lars von dem Ast
<mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I already have RH7.2 on my box. Now I want to install BSD
4.4 on a new hard
>drive. Has anyone done this? I'm afraid of blowing out my
RH7.2 if I just
>start installing BSD. I'd like the RH (GRUB?) to come up
with the pretty
>graphic and give me the option to go Linux or BSD. Anyone
out there been
>there?
>
>Lb

First make sure you have a RH boot floppy for your
installation, you did make one right? When installing
FreeBSD do not let it touch your RH partitions/HD.

I haven't done a FreeBSD install in a while so it may ask
you about modifying you MBR, I can't remember. Just don't
let it if you can. After FreeBSD is installed, if it
modified your MBR just use your RH boot floppy and edit your
lilo.conf by adding the FreeBSD it will probably hdb or sdb
(if you are using SCSI) oh wait you want to use GRUB, well
you have you check on the setting up grub, menu.lst(?).

IIRC FreeBSD's bootloader should detect the RedHat, but
since RH2 uses the newer filesystem it may not. Just don't
allow it to mess with the RH hard drive, have a RH boot
floppy and you should be able to configure GRUB to do what
you want.

Check out http://www.google.com/linux and
http://www.google.com/bsd

Good luck!

Randy Reames

--
Randy Reames  randy@xxxxxxxxxx   www.reames.org
Web Master    GNU/Linux User     Consultant