Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux and BSD

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux and BSD
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:15:50 -0600

I've had Linux, BeOS, OS/2 Warp 3, Windows NT, and Windows 98 all booting on
a single system before.  James Lancaster has had about 20 versions of Linux
booting on a single system before.  Doing Linux + BSD shouldn't be hard...
in fact, com pared to getting 3 versions of Windows and Linux to work
together, Linux + BSD should be a piece of cake.

Just put two entries in your lilo.conf... or if you're using GRUB, then use
two entries for that.

The default Lilo config on most Linux distributions, in fact, has Two UNIX
boot entries.... one for your current kernel and (at least once you've
installed your own custom kernel) one for the 'last' kernel, so if your new
one screws up, you can easily boot from 'Linux-old'.

Probably the biggest thing you'll run into when setting up FreeBSD is that
it does partitioning different than 'normal' (normal, can, of course, have
different meanings... by 'normal' here I mean 'different than you are used
to with any PC OS I'm sure you've ever used before'), so just be aware of
that, and read the docs.  :-)

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 05:51:18AM -0600, David Carmichael wrote:

> I have never heard of anybody doing what you want to do... the most
> multi-boot systems that I have heard of was "Leo Leaport" from Screen Savers
> TV show where he had a multiboot system using BEOS, Win'98, Win'2000, and
> Linux. To do this he had to do some tricky system loading and use "Partition
> Magic's custom boot loader... Off the top of my head he had to load Win'2000
> first, then Win'98, BEOS and last was Linux.
>
> The only way that I could think off the top of my head to have a dual boot
> 'UNIX' type system would be by using a BOOT DISC (Floppy/CD) for the second
> system, and load the system directly onto the second harddrive.
>
> Anybody else got a better idea?
>
> --David

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary
Cooper." -- Gary Cooper, on his decision to not take the leading role in
"Gone With The Wind."