Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: linux desktop

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: linux desktop
From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:10:50 -0600 (CST)

> I think VCD's are mpegs. If so then you can try xanim or for $10 there
> is a commercial player, mtv.
>
> If there avi's or divx xanim may work, but there was an alpha divx
> player out there on Slashdot a few months ago, look around

Try mplayer.
Command line instructions, but it claims to be able to play VCD (I just don't
have one, so I can't test it).
Other than that, it plays mpegs(tested), divx(untested), avi files (tested)
(using avifile, and win32 codecs) and it is low on the proc usage. (On the same
machine, playing one movie (avi) seriously uses the processor, but we had 2
mpegs, and 2 avis playing at the same time, and (aside from the smb ser we were
pulling the files off of locking up for a few seconds at times) no framedrops,
using the win32 codecs for the avis, which should be the same under both
operating systems.
The latest has support for xanim plugins so it should be able to play qt, but
they warn that you must look at the licence to check to see if it is legal to
play them using mplayer, and that certain ones may be illegal to use, more
later when I look at it again.

http://www.playerhq.hu/homepage/

I have a question, with windows cd buring software, and windows 2000 advanced
server.
The same 8x8(4?)x32? burner drive (there were 2 of the same type bought) is in
a win98/rh 7.1(p2) machine, and will only burn at 4x under windows, either in
the win98 machine, or in the w2kas machine(k7), but under linux it burns fine
at 8x under xcdroast. (Amazed the person that we could be burning a cd,
downloading so6 at ~1 Mb, and doing a couple of other things, and the cd still
burned fine, all on a P2)
W2kas will be replaced, but until then, is there anything we can do with the
adaptec software?

> > Do you have any specific questions about any apps or the desktop
> > environment?  ~Ironrose
> >
> > adithya wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > How many of you guys are useing linux as your desktopsystem
> > > instead of windows.
> > > I have recently switched to linux as my home PC OS
> > > though I have been using linux for my servers
> > > I have some things to get sourted out so if some one
> > > is very comfortable with linux as his or her as their desktop OS
> > > pls repply this msg.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sudharsha.
> > > --

I would be using linux on the desktop, and it does everything I want it to.
Including work with hardware that 'requires' windows, but will not work with
windows (an IDE-CD RW, printer, a video card, and several other things) even
with all the proper windows drivers.

James L

> > > Sudharsha Adithya Wijesinghe.
> > > Customer relationship officer.
> > > Datamini Lanka (PTE) Ltd.
> > > THE BEST WAY TO PREDICT THE FUTURE
> > >  IS TO INVENT IT.

Side comment:Could be interpreted 1984esc.