Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: sendmail questions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: sendmail questions
From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:51:56 -0600 (CST)

> I have Red Hat 6.2 on four boxes.  On bootup, two of them take about two
> seconds to finish "Starting Sendmail."  The other two take a full two
> minutes.  They always say "OK" after their respective startup times.  I don't
> know if I am using sendmail or not.
>
> The "start" section of S80Sendmail under /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ looks the same in
> each machine; it does a makemap hash (whatever that means) on four files in
> /etc/mail/ and these four files all look the same.
>
> Question 1: Do I need sendmail if I use Netscape for email?

I would venture not, unless you are running your own mail server, based on your
address you are not.
Try this: (as root) "/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop", then try to send/recieve
your mail. If that works, you aren't using sendmail to send your mail. Assuming
that is the case (which is very likely) you can either hand move the link, or
use redhat's 'setup' program (my personal choice for toggling on/off of
daemons).

> Question 2: What could cause the two-minute startup of sendmail?

Sendmail thinking it is a real mail server, but it can't determine it's domain
name to be.

btw, anyone know where sendmail logs? it doesn't appear to be in /var/log/

james l