Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: linux desktop

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: linux desktop
From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 19:47:56 -0500

> Darn!
sorry ;-)

> I was hoping to get the longevity record.  Alas, I began using Linux
> full time in January 1998.  I had tinkered with it since September of
> '96.
I always figured that i was one of the ones late to the party.
i read about the work that was being done from then back to '91.
better late then never.

I never did W95.  i went from dos/Win3.1 to linux.
I had intended to go with freebsd, but while at a Hastings(bookstore) in San
Marcos i came across a Linux cd(slackware) for sale real cheap.

so i tried it.  it wasn't pretty!
i could not get X to work right.
it was not a slackware problem it was a Xfree86 problem, but i did not know
that at the time.  a few months later a found a infomagic 6 cd set.
i tried the red hat and although it was not perfect, enough worked for me to
make Linux my primary boot.

It's been getting better ever since.