Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2001:
[linux-help] Re: sendmail - delay

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: sendmail - delay
From: Weqaar Ali Janjua <wxjanjua@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:24:23 -0600

Hi Sudharsha,
    The parameter for sendmail.cf is "Orident=0" , well ur problem is not
exactly with sendmail, its with pop/110 and more precisely Identd is creating
the problem. Identd is the server that helps to properly identify you on your
(or someone else's) Linux workstation. identd operates by looking up specific
TCP/IP  connections and returning the user name of the process owning the con-
nection.   It  can  optionally  return  other  information instead of a user
name, refer to the URL:  http://www.clock.org/~fair/opinion/identd.html
for more info or "man identd" !
Your pop daemon is configured(I suppose) to use identd, whenever a client
connects to the pop process, it looks for the Ident process running on the
client to grab more authentication info other than the username/passwd, most
of the clients dont run identD so the identD waits for response from the
client, according to the timeout value, and then timesout.
Did u try disabling/shutting down IdentD on your machine???
A DREAM IS A GOAL WITH A DEADLINE!
Weqaar Ali Janjua
B.S.Computer Engineering
WSU