Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2001:
[linux-help] Re: sendmail - delay

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: sendmail - delay
From: Weqaar Ali Janjua <wxjanjua@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:52:02 -0600

Hello,
   Well this problem is not with sendmail as port 110 is used by POP(by
default) not by SMTP. Disabling IDENT should solve ur problem. Disable identd
on ur machine and maybe u have to make some changes to the following
conf/files:
The easiest way is to read the following manpages but disabling identD should
work:
- inetd(8)
- inetd.conf(8)
- hosts_access(5)
- tcpd(8)
Its a better idea to disable ident with sendmail. If u r not using sendmail
8.6.5 or earlier try diabling IDENT by putting the following line in ur
sendmail.cf and restarting sendmail:

Orident=0

Let me know if it helps or not.
Regards,
Weqaar Ali Janjua
B.E.C.E
WSU

>===== Original Message From Sudharsha <adithya@xxxxxxxxx> =====
>Hi,
>Thanks for the reply.
>yes my problem is we setup a mailserver using sendmail.
>the pop server is Qpop.
>now when we connect to the mail server from the clients machine to check mail
>using eudora or outlook express it takes a very long time to authonticate and
eudora goes on a time out.
>but this is only from the internal network.
>Once you come through the inter net to chek mail on the same server it s ok
no time outs.
>When telneted to the 110 port server replys quickly
>Then when i enter the user it replys ok quickly but when i enter the password
it takes a very very long time to authonticate the password.
>we have two network cards in this one is a direct Ip and the other is a local
ip both cards goes to the same hub as well.
>we also have Ip masq enable on this.
>so when we remove the network cable from the internet ip assigned network
card the internal clients can chek mail with out no problems at all.