Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Installing Kernel 2.4 test

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Installing Kernel 2.4 test
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:25:26 -0600

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> Hi again,
>     I found something really cool!  I found an RPM package of the 2.4
> test kernel.  But, I have a question on how to install it.
>
> I have 2.2.16-4.lfs, and installed the RPM using the following:
>
> rpm -ivh --force kernel-2.2.16-4.lfs.i386.rpm
>
> I also want to have the test 2.4 kernel on the same drive, so I can boot
> back and forth, but when I issued that command for 2.2.16, it deleted my
> old folder called: 2.2.14-5.0.

What I would do is download the kernel source and compile it yourself, which
allows you to pick and chose what stuff goes in stays out or is made as a
module. http://www.kernel.org/pub/kernels/2.4
The bziped kernel image is about 16.9 MB (If you need something smaller, I
could strip out all the alpha, mips, sparc, ppc, etc)

Then you (as root and in the same directory)
tar -xIvf kernel-<etc>.tar.bz
(that is  x capital i (I) v f)
cd linux
make menuconfig
(chose what hardware you have-looking in /etc/modules.conf or
/etc/conf.modules should help)
make clean (not neccesary but if you build it again, it is recomended)
make dep
make modules
make modules_install
make bzImage
cd arch/i386/boot
cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4-testxx
vim (or pico if you insist) /etc/lilo.conf
(and add:
        label=linux24 (popular alternatives include willitwork, maybe,
        and others)
        image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4-testxx
        root=/dev/hda1 (check that from your linux image)
)
lilo

Some notes:
insmod and modprobe from rh6.2 don't like where the 2.4 kernel puts things
/lib/modules/2.4-testxx/kernel/drivers/ (sound, network, and all the rest)
I personally created a script that runs on startup to insmod the modules I
need (mostly sound and bttv, as I usually build stuff into the kernel) Red
hat 7 might have fixed that. (if it is "2.4 kernel ready")

James L.
PS If I remember (Insert, my memory percentage for things like this=really
low number), I will check it out on my rh7 box tonight.

> What command do I issue with RPM (4.0 by the way), without erasing my
> 2.2.16 directory?
>
> I thought rpm -ivh <file>
> and then write that in the lilo.conf with your favorite text editor.
> (mine is pico ;-))

That should work, but make sure that you copy /lib/modules/2.2.16 somewhere
relatively safe. Supposedly (i)nstall will not (U)pgrade (erase all old
packages). It shouldn't overwrite any files, without prompting the user,
unless --force is specified.

> Any suggestions, comments and help would be GREATLY appriciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick

If you get multiple copies, delete them, or go fix kmail on alphas ;)