Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: how to install Redhat6.2 on a ultra66 hard disk.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: how to install Redhat6.2 on a ultra66 hard disk.
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:28:22 -0600

On Wed, 08 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> My computer has a Promise ultra66 controller. My hard disk supports
> ultra66. Do you know how to install redhat 6.2 on that disk which is
> plugged to ultra66 controller?
>
> On Promise web page (www.promise.com) there's a guide to install redhat
> 6.0 to a ultra66 hard disk. It seems to me that it doesn't work with
> redhat 6.2. They say that kernel of redhat 6.1 and later versions
> support ultra66. If we want to use that feature, we have to recompile
> the kernel. I can recompile the kernel, but I'm not sure if I know where
> the option that enables ultra66 is and I'm not sure if we can boot linux
> directly from a ultra66 hard disk after we recompile the kernel or we
> cannot do that but redhat will regconize any ultra66 hard disk with the
> condition that we have to boot linux from IDE.
>
> Do you have any experience about that? If you've done it before, tell me
> what you do please.
>
> Thank you very much.

on lilo or loadlin's command line type
<kernel image> idebus=66
usually
linux idebus=66

and in /etc/lilo.conf
add to the linux (or other kernel image)
append="idebus=66"

By default, redhat (at least) uses an idebus of 33 which will work on a
(ATA, UDMA, etc)-66. I have noticed no difference between them, but my
primary drive is 5400rpm, so it probably can't go faster than 33.

Hope this helps,
James L
--
If you get multiple copies, delete them, or go fix kmail on alphas ;)