Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Regexp question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Regexp question
From: John <jmresler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:53:05 -0600

Are you using grep, egrep, sed, awk, find? They all use slightly different sets
of regular expressions. The shell also expands regexs and changes the context
slightly. Is this a command line operation? For what it is worth, the *way*
over-simplified answer is a ^ at the beginning because that says not the
following however in certain cases it also means anchored to the start of a
line. Can you give more information?

-JR

/*********************************************/
Beware, I have only proven the above code correct,
    not tested it.
        - Donald Knuth

/*********************************************/

Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> Ok, I'm trying to get a regexp working to do the following:
>
> match anything that does not match /foobar.* and return it (ie: using
> "()"'s)...  how would someone go about negating an entire regexpression
> (if that's what you'd call it..)?
>
> ie:
>
> "/foobar/blah" would match the above
> "/foobar" would match the above
> "/test" would not, and "/test" would be returned
>
> thanks,
> gLaNDix
>
> --
> Jesse Kaufman                           |       WebSurf Internet Access
> Administration / Web Development        |       www.websurf.net
> glandix@xxxxxxxxxxx                     |       Ph: 316.945.7873
> www.linuxfreak.com/~glandix             |       Fax: 316.946.9944
> --
>
> <<< Vim is a REAL man's text editor.  I don't know why anyone else would
>     even bother with sissy programs like emacs, or even worse...  pico!  >>>

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: jmresler.vcf
-- Desc: Card for John