Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Unzipping files with the *.gz extension

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Unzipping files with the *.gz extension
From: Jesse Kaufman <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:16:27 -0600 (EST)

unfortunately, it may very well have to do w/ the cvs snapshot of gcc that
red hat used on ther 7.0 release...  i've heard numerous people w/ stories
similar to this...  since the programs they want to use were compiled w/
the actual release of gcc, and they were running rh7, the programs
refused to run...  you might check redhat's site to see if they have an
errata about what to do...  also, you might check out
www.redhat.com/mirrors.html and see if you can find RH6.2 ISO's to
download, and install that instead, since it should me more stable.

or, you might want to check out mandrake...  based on the RH system, but i
trust it a little more than rh...  i tried out 7.1 (i believe) and it was
the simplest install i've run (even simpler than *gasp* windows!)...  and
i bet they have a real version of gcc, too!  : ^ )  www.mandrake.com

or run slackware! : ^ )

--
Jesse Kaufman                           |       WebSurf Internet Access
Administration / Web Development        |       www.websurf.net

<<< Vim is a REAL man's text editor.  I don't know why anyone else would
    even bother with sissy programs like emacs, or even worse...  pico!  >>>