Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Unzipping files with the *.gz extension

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Unzipping files with the *.gz extension
From: Jesse Kaufman <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 17:23:17 -0600 (EST)

to unzip a .gz (gzip) file, just do 'gunzip <file>.gz' ...  if netscape
saves it w/o the .gz extension, you might want to make sure it didn't
automatically un-gzip it for you by running the 'file' command (ie: 'file
<filename>')...  it will tell you what type of file it is (really kewl
command, actually!)

i'm sure there's some option somewhere hidden in netscape do disable the
auto-unzipping, but i don't know for sure...  plus, for me it's been
fairly unreliable...  this time it unzips, this time it doesn't ... who
knows! : ^ )

--
Jesse Kaufman                           |       WebSurf Internet Access
Administration / Web Development        |       www.websurf.net

<<< Vim is a REAL man's text editor.  I don't know why anyone else would
    even bother with sissy programs like emacs, or even worse...  pico!  >>>