Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Unzipping files with the *.gz extension

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Unzipping files with the *.gz extension
From: BOB GOODWIN <w2bod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 10:33:30 -0500

A while back I inquired about Linux 6.2 and someone
suggested RH-7 might be worth trying.

I did so and am still trying to get back to where I was with
RH-5.2!

I even went back looking to download a copy of 6.? but found
nothing but 7 available anymore.

I have been having numerous problems with Netscape 4.76
address file 'bus errors' and crashes. It seems to be
working this morning but when the address book fails it
requires another ./ns-install with removal of a line from
preferences.js as well as fixing configuration. A real
headache ... I figured it was a Netscape problem until Opera
blew up once this morning when I was trying to add to the
bookmarks?

The Red Hat installation is huge, 733 megs as installed and
growing, but apparently doesn't contain many of the required
peripheral libraries? I keep going round and round with
that!

The HTML editor asWedit that worked so nicely with 5.2 won't
run at all. I liked yawmppp to watch my on-line activity and
it defies all efforts at installation.

Has anyone else had similar problems or is it just me?  I'm
no expert but have been muddling through with Linux for more
than a year now with good results until this.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bob Goodwin - Durant, Florida

Red Hat Linux release 7.0
Kernel 2.2.16-22 i586